Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kids Books A to Z: L is for Lobel

Arnold Lobel's books about Frog and Toad always brought a smile to my face when I was a kid. I read those books over and over again, also. The two of them got themselves into interesting predicaments and taught us the value of having a best friend. I never did decide which one I was more like, though.

I like to share these books with my students today. I like the lessons being taught by Frog and Toad. I also find them useful as readers for kids who have outgrown my Bob books. Many of the words are friendly for those at what I consider a first or second grade level.


Arnold Lobel wrote and illustrated numerous other books, as well. One that I have used in my classroom for many years is Ming Lo Moves the Mountains, about a Chinese girl whose family tries to move a mountain by doing a special dance.


Another fun one is The Book of Pigericks: Pig Limericks. Limericks are a great way to teach rhyming and poetry. The fact that they are about pigs makes it amusing.


Lobel's Fables is also another one I like to share with children. His interpretations of the famous stories also include stunning illustrations that earned him a Caldecott medal in 1981. He also created his own variations of famous Mother Goose verses and so many more books for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment