Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kids Books A to Z: A is for Alexander

Alexander is a young boy who stars in a few picture books by author Judith Viorst. I have only read three of them, but they are three of my favorites. He is the kind of character who is downright stubborn and frustrated by life. And that makes him relatable for the children who read his stories.

Click on a book cover below for more details, or to get your own copy to share with your favorite kids.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

This was my first Alexander book. I learned about it while taking my education classes in college. In this one, Alexander wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. Nothing seems to be going his way. He dubs it a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day," and wants to move to Australia. He has gum in his hair and dinner is lima beans. There's kissing on TV and he trips over his skateboard.

Children and adults alike can relate to having one of those days that is just miserable, no matter what you try to do. Alexander makes you feel a little better about it.

Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move

Nobody really likes to move. And it seems to be harder on children than it is on adults. They crave consistency and routine in their lives. Moving means complete disruption of all of that. You have to start over in a new house and a new school. It gets harder to make new friends as you get older. And try getting used to a new babysitter after you leave the one that you've had your whole life! When Alexander's father is transferred to a new city several miles away, Alexander plots to stay right where he is.

Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday

Do you remember when a dollar seemed like a lot of money? The possibilities were endless! Alexander feels rich when his grandmother gives him a dollar on a Sunday. But then the money seems to slip between his fingers. Where is it all going? Use this book as a way to introduce economics to your child or to your class. It is more appropriate for early elementary aged students, but some kindergartners may pick up on the lesson.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. I've certainly had my share of terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these books at the daycare. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know there were three books in that series! Good to know.

    My niece read the book to my children the other night (The Horrible Day one) and they all laughed. It was very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the "terrible, horrible, no good very bad days" book. I still use that when I think anything is downright negative. Interesting what an impact books have on us as children. :)

    ReplyDelete