Monday, May 18, 2020

Review of I Want to Be ... A Gutsy Girl's ABC by Farida Zaman


Some jobs immediately sound fun―Candy Maker anyone?! And some jobs sound exciting―Oceanographer, Sportscaster, Aerialist! And some jobs―Kite Designer, Wind Farmer, Party Planner―sound so wonderful it’s hard to believe that they exist! Babies and toddlers will follow along with this ABC as it explores some of the amazing, and often unusual, jobs that people do. Each fun letter is complemented by an illustration of a girl filled with delight and wonder as she shows us how we can be, quite literally, anything we want to be.


Book Links


**My thoughts**
I liked this book much more than I thought I would. When I was growing up, I went to Montessori where we were taught "You Can Be What You Want to Be," which was also the title of a play and song about Maria Montessori. And this book really echoes that idea. Each letter of the alphabet gets its own page with a potential occupation and one sentence describing what that job would be. They're all fun possibilities and definitely think outside of the box. And in the illustrations, she included different races and ethnicities as well as differently abled people. It's subtly obvious. And fear not, boys, you will be inspired by this book as well.

Thank you to the publisher for fulfilling my review request via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment