Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Brett

Jan Brett is one of my all-time favorite children's authors. I have been reading her books for as long as I can remember. Last year, I had the honor of meeting her. Of course, I cannot place my hands on the photo of the two of us together right now. Ah well.

She has written a few of her own original stories, but most of her books are retold fairy tales and folktales. What makes her books so unique and special is her illustrations. I can't imagine how long it takes for her to draw one page. The details are so intricate. When we saw her speak, she showed us how she quickly drew a picture of Hedgie. But that was just a sketch. Her paintings are amazing.

Another thing I love about Jan Brett is that she has her own educational website. Parents and teachers can print off numerous activities to use at home or in the classroom. There are also a lot of fun art projects for kids. You can also sign up to get postcards from Jan. And the best part is, they're all free! I have used many of them in my classroom and in tutoring sessions.



6 comments:

  1. I will have to check those out for my son, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty amazing that she draws her own illustrations. Illustrations are definitely one of the most components of a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool that she has free printables and activities for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan Brett is so talented. I love her work, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like she has some good books. Most kids in England grew up in the 50's and 60's with Enid Blyton. She wrote hundreds of books, including Noddy, Secret Seven, Famous Five and more. They are still a good read now.

    ReplyDelete