Benefits of adopting an adult pet
reprinted with permission from Moo Kitty Finds a Home © 12/11
If you are considering getting a new pet, don't automatically decide to buy from a breeder or pet store. Consider adopting from a local shelter.
Some of the unique advantages of mature cats and dogs are:
* What you see is what you get. You can judge the animal's temperament ahead of time.- You know pretty well what you're getting with a grown cat's or
dog's-activity level, sociability and health.
- Given time in a loving environment, a grown cat forms just as
tight a bond with his new people as any kitten can.
- Most kittens and pups are cute, cuddly, and passive--some will
grow up and stay that way, and others will grow up to be little
- An adult animal's personality is pretty much set, giving you a
better handle on how well he'll fit into your household and
whether or not she'll get along with any other pets.
* Less expensive. The cost of adopting a pet at an animal shelter is usually inexpensive compared to buying one from a breeder or pet store since they have already been neutered, wormed and vaccinated.
* Already trained. You don't have to go through the demanding stages of training a new kitten or puppy. Raising and training kittens and puppies require a lot of time and know-how.
* An adult animal is likely to be socialized to be around people and other animals.
* The animal will be litter/house trained.
* It will be less likely to engage in destructive behaviors.
* Adult animals are more sedate, making them a practical choice for the elderly and families with children.
* An adult animal can be left alone for longer periods of time than a kitten or puppy when needed.
More tips can be found in Moo Kitty Finds a Home and at mookittyfindsahome.com.