Saturday, April 9, 2011

D is for dePaola

Tomie dePaola is another classic author of children's literature. I have used his books time and time again in the classroom, whether for simple story reading or for teaching a lesson. He is known for retelling favorite tales, such as in his Strega Nona series. His book Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs makes me cry every time I read it.

I also really like his books about the holidays. For Christmas and Easter, he is able to provide a balance with the religious aspects of each holiday. He also has written about other holidays.

I also admire dePaola for doing his own illustrations.

Some of the stories are too advanced for the young children that I teach. But most of them are appropriate for the elementary age. Check some of them out and see what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like something my grandchildren would enjoy. None of them have brought this book home from school (that I've seen anyway). Thanks for mentioning it. I'll keep the name in mind when I go birthday present shopping. If you would like to read my latest post for the A-Z Challenge, just click http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/ and look at the top blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I once had The Clown of God for my kids when they were young. This is the only book by dePaola that I am familiar with.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete