Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Review of What Is Family on Sesame Street? by Craig Manning


From world-renowned children's brand Sesame Street comes a new, heartwarming title in the series with New York Times bestseller Love

Featuring inspiration from beloved Sesame characters, What is Family? reminds you that even though every family is different, home is where your loved ones are. This inspiring picture book is a beautiful gift for all types of families.

When you think of a "family," what comes to mind?
How would you describe it? Which words do you find?
No exact meaning quite fits like a glove.
Except maybe this one: it's all about LOVE.


Book Links


**My thoughts**
I really like the idea presented in this book that family is made up of parents, siblings, grandparents, and friends. Some of your family is related to you by blood from birth, and some of your family consists of those you choose to make part of your family. Families come in all shapes and sizes, and each one is unique. The important thing is you care for each other and spent quality time together, even when you're miles apart. Your family are those you hold dear in your heart.

The illustrations are quite simple on the pages that have the text of the story on them. I almost want to color them in myself, like a coloring book. But they are perfect for those pages. And then where the illustrations are showing the various families found on Sesame Street, they are vibrant and full of color and happiness. I just do not really care for the illustration style being used where the characters seem scribbled in. It almost reminds me of drawing them on a scratch board or something. It probably bothers me most because these are not the illustrations of my beloved characters that I have seen since the 1970s. It's definitely a personal preference and others will love them as they are.

So overall, I think this is a good book to share with kids. There is a part of me that wishes that families with same-sex parents were also included, as that is another kind of family that is common today. But I really do appreciate how the book tells us that your dear friends can also be an extension of your family. We don't talk enough about that extended support system that so many of us depend on these days.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my review copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment