Saturday, December 12, 2009

Manners Time



Manners Time
is one of the books in Elizabeth Verdick's Toddler Tools series. This board book teaches young children how to be polite. They learn how to say "Hello" and "Goodbye" with a wave and a smile. They practice using "Please," "Thank you," "You're welcome," and "Excuse me". They learn appropriate times to say, "I'm sorry," as well as "I forgive you".

Just as in her other books, Elizabeth Verdick uses age-appropriate language and situations to illustrate the social courtesies contained within. She also follows up with a guide for parents and caregivers to use to reinforce these manners. I particularly like how she points out that children also learn by example, so adults need to demonstrate respect in their daily activities. She also points out that the skills in this book simply lay the foundation for future social interactions. The teaching must continue throughout the child's life.

I have used this book in my classroom of 3-6 year-olds to remind them of those basic courtesies that need to be extended to everyone. They need daily reminders and examples to really internalize them. This book would be great for parents to read on a daily basis with their young ones.

Purchase Manners Time (Toddler Tools)

I received a review copy of this book from the publishers, Free Spirit publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment