Sunday, December 30, 2012

Review of 'Ethan's Story: My Life With Autism'

Book blurb from Amazon:

When Ethan Rice was four years old, he was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. Hedecided that he wanted to tell his first grade class that he had autism on his seventh birthday. His parents asked him many questions about what having autism felt like for him and wrote his answers down as a reference for when he told his class. Those answers are now published so more people can understand what it is like to have autism. While each child on the spectrum has unique challenges and strengths, Ethan's Story; My Life with Autism is Ethan's own story.

**My thoughts**

I snatched up this book during an Anchor Publishing Group sale for Kindle and wish I also had it in paperback. Autism is near and dear to my heart, as I have several friends with children with autism and have also taught many. They are some of my favorite kids, because I love the way their minds work. They really are just kids whose brains work differently.

Ethan decided to write this book to help explain to his classmates what it meant for him to have autism. He first points out how kids are the same because they are all different. And then that his brain works differently than most of theirs. He then explains why he does the things he does, and ways in which they can help him. He also shares how autism is a great gift and his pride in being the boy that God created. 

I admire him for doing this. I want to read it to all kids, and to many adults, to emphasize that these kids are good kids. They look at life differently and require a bit of tweaking in how you interact with them. But they are still wonderful people. I hope people can learn from Ethan.

Buy links: Paperback / Kindle 

No comments:

Post a Comment